Experienced Litigators Who Get The Job Done
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Modifications

The Initial Order Is Not The Only Option

Families grow and change. If yours has changed through divorce, it can be difficult no matter if it is the right thing to do. One particularly challenging issue can be financial support. The courts determine this in initial divorce proceedings, and yet things can change drastically over the course of several years. You may know you have the ability to file for a modification, but do you know what the process entails? At Northern Valley Law, we are experienced in Virginia family law, and can inform you.

What You Should Know About Filing For A Modification

It is somewhat difficult to get a modification to your child or spousal support. This is because the initial order is meant to be permanent. The court often will not even consider a modification until it has been at least three years, and even after three years, there must be a “special circumstance” cited to explain why a change is necessary. These special circumstances include things like:

  • An emancipation or change in physical custody has made at least one child ineligible for their current level of support.
  • The child’s health insurance coverage has increased or decreased in cost by at least 25 percent.
  • Either parent’s income has gotten larger or smaller by at least 25 percent.
  • A child needs to be added to the child support order, due to either a birth or change in primary physical custody.

These reasons all require documentation, as well. Overall, getting a child or spousal support modification is difficult. It is important to get it right the first time if at all possible. However, if it is absolutely necessary to pursue a modification, a good lawyer may be able to help.

Learn More About Your Options: Call Today

A divorce or separation, and the ensuing child support and custody process, can have a huge impact on your life and that of your children. Getting it done, and done correctly, is crucially important. To explore your options, call our Front Royal office at 540-227-0069 and speak to an attorney. You can also send us a message through our online contact form.