Family Law Matters We Handle At Our Firm
There is no area of law more complicated and difficult than family law. Virginia protects the welfare of the children and the rights of the adults, but the intersection of legal issues and family dynamics can be complicated enough to turn levelheaded individuals into people who cannot see reason. A skilled family law attorney can smooth over difficulties and help you differentiate between matters worth fighting for and those best left alone.
At the law firm of Northern Valley Law, we provide knowledgeable and effective family law guidance to families in the Shenandoah Valley. Attorney Nancie Williams is well-known in the area for her hands-on approach and willingness to sit down and listen to her clients’ needs and goals. She and the entire staff understand that each case is as unique as the people involved. However, she is a courtroom veteran known among colleagues as a hard-nosed litigator who is often at her best when matters turn contentious, in court or during negotiations.
Our Comprehensive Family Law Services
We provide legal guidance on a wide range of issues, including:
- Divorce: From filing papers to final negotiations, we will go through this process with you to get the best possible results for both you and your family.
- Child custody and visitation: Most couples have joint custody that the courts favor, but we can help determine a thoughtful parenting plan that best serves the children’s needs while protecting the parents’ rights.
- Child support: Virginia has a set of formulas based on income, number of children and needs of the family to determine the amount, but a lawyer can bring all issues to light to ensure a fair agreement.
- Adopting children: We enjoy helping families formalize the special bond that parents and children share. Nancie S. Williams’ background in foster care gives her unique insight into the life-changing nature of this matter.
- Modifications: Families’ needs change because the kids get older or the parents will switch jobs or move.
- Mediation: This alternative to litigation highlights our willingness to think outside the box to best resolve your issues.
- Premarital agreements: Now quite common with working couples, this arrangement is useful for those with complicated finances.
- Annulment: This is different than divorce because it invalidates the fact that the marriage happened.